The tractor has long been an indispensable assistant in the garden and the local area. The agricultural unit is capable of performing many functions, but for this the farmer needs to use different attachments. The most important of them are rotary tiller for tractor. Their use allows plowing any type of soil, saving a lot of time and effort for its owner.
The milling cutter for a tractor is a universal tool designed mainly for soil cultivation. The cutter is best used on soil where there are no thick roots of bushes and trees, as well as large stones.
All currently available milling cutters for tractors are divided into several types.
- cutters equipped with saber knives. Such a milling cutter for a tractor is the most versatile. The unique shape of the blades of this tool allows it to cope with a large number of tasks, while remaining completely safe for humans. Even if it hits the stone, the cutting saber-shaped cutters will only lift it up, after which they will continue to plow the soil. This rotary tiller for a tractor is completely made of durable metal, which makes it resistant to impact. At the same time, a tool of this type can be disassembled for replacement of worn-out knives or storage in the winter;
- cutter of the type “crow’s feet” – this type of equipment is just beginning to gain popularity. The main areas of its application are the cultivation of areas overgrown with weeds with their simultaneous cleaning of vegetation, as well as loosening of virgin soils. The only drawback of such cutters is the fragility of their fastening system.
Regardless of the type, an earthen cutter for a tractor must perform a number of functions. These include soil cultivation, weed management, and mixing of soil with mineral and organic fertilizers.
How to make a do-it-yourself milling cutter for a tractor?
Buying attachments, be it a plow or a mower for a tractor, necessarily requires large financial costs. It is quite another matter – making the required tool with your own hands.
Immediately before assembling the equipment for the tractor, you should carefully study its design.
This tool consists of the following parts:
- main shaft;
- cutting knives;
- a casing to protect the operator;
- a support frame on which all parts and wheels of the cutter are attached.
Each rotary tiller for a tractor has a fairly simple principle of operation. In the process of movement, the drive wheels of the implement begin to transmit the torque of the tractor engine to the cutter shaft. This also causes the shaft to move, driving the knives. Rotating, they raise the top layer of soil, and turn it over, while crushing it. In fact, it resembles digging a garden with an ordinary shovel with the only difference that the entire process of loosening on a tractor with a milling cutter takes much less time and effort.
Another big plus of this tractor tool is the ease of making it with your own hands.
Assembly tools and materials may require:
- welding machine;
- a set of fasteners;
- sheet metal;
- pipes and channels.
In addition to preparing for the assembly of cutters, you should carefully study the drawings. By following their instructions, it will be much easier for the farmer to make reliable and balanced cutters for the tractor.
The assembly order during manufacture is as follows:
- The first step is to make a solid support frame. To do this, you need to use channels or pipes with a diameter of at least 40 mm. Both the pipe and the channel must be cut into 4 identical parts, and then welded. The frame width should depend on the tractor engine power. The higher the power, the wider the cutter frame can be;
- Wheels must be attached to the finished frame. They must be included in the design, since it is the wheels that make it possible to regulate the depth of plowing of the soil with cutters;
- Next, you need to attach the main shaft to the frame. An ordinary metal pipe, the diameter of which should not be less than 50 mm, can cope with its role. The shaft must be attached to the frame by means of support bearings and bushings;
- After that, it is necessary to install and tighten the chain, which will transmit the force from the tractor engine to the cutter gearbox. It is best to purchase a ready-made chain;
- The next step is to move on to the manufacture of cutter cutting knives. For this, sheet metal with a thickness of at least 12 mm is suitable. The number of cutting elements of the cutter depends on the width of the shaft used in the design. Knives should be attached to it with bolts or other reliable fasteners;
- At the end of the manufacture of the cutter, all its moving parts will remain to be lubricated with grease. This is necessary in order to exclude premature wear of the structure. Also, the metal elements of the cutter must be primed and painted – this will protect them from moisture and corrosion.
Before practical use, a homemade milling cutter must be tested. To do this, the structure must be installed on a tractor, and check its operation on loose soil. If during testing the milling cutter does not emit squeaking sounds, and its parts do not dangle, then the implement is completely ready for practical use on hard soils.
A do-it-yourself milling cutter for a tractor does not need special maintenance. However, it is very important to remove soil and cut off bushes from it in time. Otherwise, the cutting elements of the cutter will quickly become unusable.